Sunday, September 25, 2011

First Look: Ogre Kingdoms 2011 Army Book Review

OGRE KINGDOMS

NOTE:
This will be my first look at the new Ogre Kingdoms Army Book, but you'll notice as your reading that I won't go too specific into the entrys. The reason for this is mostly because this is my first impressions on the book and about certain parts in it. This will be more of a brief opinion review that will be followed by a more in depth review later on. This is so that I can get a better perspective on how this army will function in the new 8th edition landscape and I think it would be pointless to be too critical on this book during this time. Keep in mind that I can get information wrong while recording my notes, but those mistakes will be pretty minor.



GORGEOUS DETAIL

 

Like the other previous 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy Army Books, this latest entry into the Ogre Kingdoms is chalk full of qualtiy pictures and artwork. I can not stress enough about these new Games-Workshop hardcover books; everytime I pick one of these up, I feel the full effort behind these new books.

FLUFF IS NOT THE OGRE WAY

Sadly the most disappointing aspect of this latest book, is the lack of focus in the story telling. In a typical Ogre fashion, their history is as fragmented as a Butcher's Spell and all over the place. Cathay is briefly mentioned, but in some weird way there seems to be less information compared to before. I did enjoy the introduction of the newer models into the current story; the Firebelly Ogres are a nice addition. On a whole I was relatively underwhelmed by the story content.


MORE OGRE BELLIES, LESS POINTS

If there is one sole element to this book that actually makes the Ogres a "Truly Competitive" army, this time around is the severe reduction in points costs. I am a firm believer from last edition that the Ogre's biggest problem was their points; if nothing else was changed that would be enough in my opinion. Thankfully though, there has been more changed to the Ogres then mere points redcutions.

 

BIG TOYS FOR BIG BOYS

In the typical 8th edition fashion, every new army book seems to be getting a bigger selection of monsters to field. Now, I for one actually enjoy this change to the game for a variety of reasons. For starters out of all the books that should have big monsters, the Ogres are probably the ones that kind of needed them. Next with newer monsters means we get more high quality, detailed and multi-functional kits to build. Lastly, with every army getting some big new "beasty", means that for the first time in Warhammer Fantasy there are even more legitimate ways for every faction to face off against one another.

 

MORE!!! AND MORE!!!

By far, compared to the other 8th edition books the Ogres have gotten a huge overhaul. Gone are the over complicated Gut Magic rules and strangely worded magic items. Instead we have the Lore of the Great Maw, which is really a simplified version of the Gut Magic from before, but 8th editionfied. The magic items for the most part are similiar, but with some significant changes to their points and rules. I do find it strange that Ogres, have ten magic items verses what the other books got though?

 
FINAL THOUGHTS

I really enjoyed the style and art direction behind this book. Theres a strong contrast of blues and bright colours, creating this neat nordic feel to the book. As far as the rules are concerned, the book is a huge improvement and is pretty much better in both quality and quantity to the older book in most areas. I will be taking a more detailed look at this book over the fall; will express my thoughts on the individual entries.

 Till Next Time

 

 
Adam Tremblay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...