Saturday, July 16, 2011

War and More: Off to Orctoberfest

Hello again everyone! Orctoberfest was a complete blast and on top of it being a new edition tournament, I met some really great people and the road trip was by far, the best one in a long time.

The points value was 2500pts and the remaining details are within the links below

Tournament Package here
Scenarios that will be used here

So many rats, so little time

2 weeks before going to Orctoberfest I decided to paint over 200 skaven models so that my collection would finally look like a real army. In addition one of the requirements of Orctoberfest was that players at the very minimum base coat all their models. So I took the time to not only paint all of the units and characters below, but my whole skaven collection. If you want to check out my progress at the time, check out my blog http://www.rankingshq.com/public/blogpost.aspx?Id=3234

Characters, Lords 495pts/625pts
495 pts Grey Seer.
- Skalm, Dispel Scroll, Level 4 (Lore of Ruin).
- Screaming Bell.

Characters, Heroes 411pts/625pts
92 pts Chieftain.
- Shield, Poisoned Attacks (SP), Weeping Blade
104 pts Chieftain.
- Shield, Halberd, Battle Standard Bearer
- Shroud of Dripping Death
150 pts Warlock Engineer.
- Warp-Energy Condenser, Doom Rocket
- Level 2 (Lore of Ruin)
65 pts Warlock Engineer.
- The Terrifying Mask of EEE! Death Globe

Core 629pts>625pts
195 pts Clanrats.
- Shields, Spears, Standard, Musician, Champion
- Size: 35
260 pts Clanrats.
- Shields, Spears, Standard, Musician, Champion
- Size: 48
70 pts Warp-Fire Thrower. – Size: 1
52 pts Skaven Slaves.
- Slings, Musician- Size: 20
52 pts Skaven Slaves.
- Slings, Musician- Size: 20

Special 466pts/1250pts
250 pts Plague Monks.
- Champion, Standard, Musician, Storm Banner
- Size: 25
108 pts Gutter Runners.
-Size: 6 –Poisoned Attacks, Slings
108 pts Gutter Runners.
-Size: 6 –Poisoned Attacks, Slings

Rare 490pts/625pts
250 pts Hellpit Abomination.
-Warp-Stone Spikes
150 pts DoomWheel.
90 pts Warp-Lightning Cannon.

Total 2491pts/2500pts

Character Overview:
I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I chose a grey seer as my general at this point level, since magic spells can really turn a battle in your favour(Dreaded 13th spell). However most players seem to put him on foot in a massive unit, usually with the talisman of preservation(4+ ward save). This is a direct result of true line of sight, which can allow warmachine heavy armies to destroy the beautiful bell and plague furnance models. I offer a different opinion which some people may find interesting and which actually played a big factor in ALL my games. Ok Sure, every Cannon, Stonethrower, and Bolt Thrower can see the Bell just about everywhere on the table.....but, what they don't see is the Hellpit abomination, doom wheel, warp lighting cannon, gutter runners, warp fire thrower, distraction slave units and my other big units. Their focus is solely on destroying the bell and the general, leaving themselves open for faster and more deadlier things to sneak into their army.



 I simply give my opponent too many targets to deal with and they end up wasting valuable reasources killing only 495pts. As far as survivability the bell can tough it out against most things, because the shots are randomised and both the bell and the seer get a 4+ ward save. The bell boasts having Toughness 6 and against most shots they will need 6+ to wound and even then it has 6 wounds. Ok and lets say after all that the bell is destroyed, so what! Since the bell and the seer are considered one model they both have to die to give up victory points. So a seer on foot just hides in the unit anyway. Basically you benefit from having 200 extra victory points that your opponent will struggle to get. Finally lets say your opponent uses alot of template weapons and targets the bell everytime. The bell actually prevents the template from being effective, since the bell covers up most of the shots. Not to mention the bell's own abilities to buff your army and to destroy Toughness 7 warmachines anywhere on the table.

The Grey seer has skalm to recover lost wounds from miscasts(which only do one wound usually) and a dispell scroll which is still really really good! The 2 chieftains have simple functions as Ld reroll guy and increased wound output guy in challenges. Poison attacks and the weeping blade work really well together and the banner of Dripping Death is alright, but the banner of the underempire is better in the long run. The level 2 was by far the best character in my army, because the doom rocket is just too good to not take now, and the energy condenser is gold. Finally the Warlock with the mask of EEE and death globe added alot of utility to the unit preventing fear and causing it in troops that have higher weapon skill. The death globe can truly reck armoured units.

Core
Now this is the simplest in the army, so not much to say here. 2 big units of clanrats to hold the bell and a counter attack unit. 2 units of slaves with slings to annoy my opponents own small units and gun lines. Finally a Warp Fire Thrower because you would be silly not to really...D3 wounds is awesome at Strength 5.

SpecialThe plague monks are slower, but having access to magic banners is very useful and the storm banner is crucial to any skaven battle plan. Plus on the flank you can really dish out the pain with this unit when combined with other units. The gutter runners are my MVU because they were always useful and they rarely disappointed me before or after the tournament. Poisoned Slings make all the difference.

RareThe Hellpit Abomination can tear through most units, the doom wheel can shoot down most large monsters and the warplightning cannon is able to weaken the size of most infantry units. Pretty simple, I'll take one of each please.


After driving 6 hours the night before with my friends John Moutray and Mike Sweetman, we had finally arrived at Prince George, B.C. After taking part in the tournament, I can say it was a total blast and anyone from the local area or visiting from out of town should check it out next year!

Game 1Now the first game in terms of overall importance is insignificant, because the first game was only there to establish the placement of players, it did not add to the overall victory points. Jose the TO used this placement by assigning players to a table number and you could tell how good you were doing depending on the table number. If you were on table 1, you were in the lead for example. My first game was against Robyn who took a massive goblin horde! There was no giant unit of goblin heroes however, so that was good. The mission was land grab which combines elements of 7th edition and meeting engagement. Each table quarter was worth 150vpts, and considering thats all you needed to gain a win against your opponent. (Each mission is listed in detail in on the first page). Basically 3 big things happened this game, the gutter runners killed his warmachines, the hellpit ate ALOT of goblins about 2 units of 50, and the slaves with slings killed alot of goblins at range. Other then that I had not lost really any units and won the game. Unfortunately this game didn't count towards anything, but at least I'm starting with a high ranking on table 4.

Game 2
Now in this game I played against Brandon. A, who had the most interesting theme for an army ever, using a dwarf army.....He called it the "Thundercat Army" :). His dwarfs wore Orange and black, and consisted of you guessed it Thunderers, lots of thunderers. He also included a massive unit of Iron breakers and Giant slayers. So I ask him "Well, ok if this is the Thundercats army where is Lion-O?" he then lifts up his daemon slayer that has fur and bright orange hair. Nice :). The mission was battle for the pass, but if your opponent had the majority of his army in your deployment zone you got extra victory points for each unit. I managed to kill or tie up most of brandon's shooting units pretty early on, but brandon surprised me by declaring a daring charge of 14inchs and actually made it into the bell unit with his massive ironbreaker unit. His slayers unit exploded the hellpit in one round of combat and it was really close there for a couple turns. I managed to surround his units and weaken them to the point where the Dreaded 13th was able to defeat his lords combat unit, sealing the game. Brandon you were a great sport and good luck at your future tournaments!

Game 3Ok so at this point, I have 2 wins and have moved up to table 3. My next opponent would be Chris with his very unique vampire count army. The mission would be Blood and Glory, which is probably the most unique of the new mission types in that you can win a game if your opponent loses most of the standards in their army. One thing about Blood and Glory is that if your not prepared for it, you could end up with a very low number of standards. But the TO had all the missions online for several months, so there was no reason to not have known beforehand. That said Blood and Glory can lead to a very quick game and several ended before turn 3. Both me and Chris had a decent amount of standards so our game went up to turn 6. Now this was the most difficult game so far, because Chris is truly a pro vampire player. His Black coach(which he modelled as a zombie giant) was very effective in tying up my major units, while in the meantime his graveguard with BsB and the regen banner started carving up my weaker units. To top it all off the Lord on the Zombie dragon slowly beats down my hellpit abomination into a bloody pulp.

On the positive side my gutter runners kill off a vargulf in a stand and shoot reaction. Also my doom rocket does massive damage to his largest skeleton unit, and combined with the slaves and doomwheel, kill off the Black coach and skeletons. Unfortunately for me at the same time I lose 2 banners to his graveguard death star. At this point we are both one standard above the breaking point, and I have 2 options. Go for the death star unit and take out the BsB, or kill the general. Having killed the zombie dragon with the cracks call spell, and having the count retreat to a unit of 30 ghouls, going for the general is the smarter choice. So I begin to pour in the shots and magic leaving only 5 ghouls and the general. Chris seeing the doom of his lord, leaves the unit. But in my next turn I summon the power of the 13th to turn him into a clanrat, to win me the game.

Game 4
So after winning 3 games so far, I'm feeling pretty good! My next opponent would be David with his gun heavy army. The mission this time was Dawn attack, with added victory points for reaching your opponents deployment zone. David was able to deploy most of his army in the corner, while I made the mistake of spreading my forces too wide. Also the other big factor on this map was the magical well that can heal back models from a unit....yeah and guess who's side it was on....Davids....that would be alright if it was not for the fact his giant unit of dwarf longbeards started to camp on the well.....Q_Q.
Regardless my doomrocket was able to wound 23 dwarves, but because of his 5+ ward save banner, he only lost 8 longbeards. After that point all my luck turned on me as the doom wheel destroys itself, the gutter runners run off the board, the hellpit rolls Mv5, and the bell keeps rolling the 13th result, but I'm not in combat.....Regardless I fought tooth and nail for every victory point, but I just couldn't kill every last model therefore preventing me valuable Vpts. David is a newer player and this was his first large 8th edition tournament, but he deserved to win this game because he was able to out deploy, play and roll better then me. Congrates David! Hope to see you at future events.

At the end of the day, what better way is there then to celebrate! Afterwards we went to the pub inside the hotel to enjoy some refreashing drinks. All in a good day's work.

After a great 1st day, I was eager to continue my conquests after being humbled in my last game.

Game 5My next opponent was Nick, who was using a modified Chaos dwarf army to represent a warriors of chaos army. The mission was the infamous Watch Tower objective, but instead of only taking the tower you needed to have the most units within 6inchs of the tower. Now Nick had the most unique chaos warriors list in that he took the special character chaos dragon, and several units of marauders of khorne and tzeentch. His tzeentch unit was 50 strong in a massive infantry train. Now Nick was the strongest opponent I would face off against throughout the tournament. He was able to get the most out of all his units and utilize every element of his force to devestating effect. This was the only game where the screaming bell was destroyed, and it was from him using my own spell "cracks call" against the bell using the third eye of tzeentch. In a very uncommon skaven fashion, I stood my ground and dug into the enemy forces. My doom rocket got its highest kill ratio, by killing 25 marauders. I destroyed the watch tower with my screaming bell early on and my warp lighting cannon sniped the dragon character. My slaves killed chaos knights left and right with slings, best half point upgrade EVER! After all the dust had settled Nick pulled out a victory with the difference being 250Vpts...a very close game.

Game 6
My last game was against a different Brandon, who had a real nice Lizardmen army. Since the last mission turned out to be grudge match(which is really just the basic mission with added points if you kill the general) having skaven vs lizards, talk about a grudge match! Now at this point the gutter runners have done exceptionally well, but by far this game takes the cake. They wounded and killed a stegadon, engine of the gods and several temple guard. A unit of cold one riders smash head long into the bell unit, but are unable to kill much, but stay in combat for several turns. It takes 3 units to break these warriors and the combat character gets away. The slann miscasts a spell and atempts to use cupped hands, but he ends up rolling a one resulting in him frying all the temple guard but 3. Two units of slaves beatdown on a unit of saurus warriors to 12 men and I continue to transform the rest into a whole new unit of clanrats. Towards the end Brandon is able to conserve his points and my grey seer decides to explode, luckly my bell was still fine so he got no extra points. I managed to win the game and with that 2 days of gaming were over. Time well spent!

So finally after 2 amazing days of gaming, like all good things must come to an end. There was many wonderful prizes for first place, best overall, best painted, and best sportsmanship. To top it all off there was several random draw prizes to encourage the remaining players. Now for the longest time I haven't considered myself a great painter, but over the last month I've expanded my knowledge and improved on my painting skills before the tournament. Now I expected people to enjoy looking at a painted army, but I never expected, what was to happen next.......I won the Most popular and best army award! Considering the skill of painters at the tournament, I was very shocked! Because I have never won a painting award. For my trouble I won a Battle foam 216 kit, that can hold up to 200 models ^_^.

Dave Ganner won the best general award, and his High Elve army is shown in my pictures. He managed to win a Battle Foam X-board! Mike Sweetman won best overall and got a gift card for the armoury club store. Brandon from my second game won the best sportsman award and took home some gift cards as well. There were many other prizes including: Gw 8th ed templates, gift certificates for Battlefoam, and many, many other gifts. Considering we got free breakfest and lunch both days, in addition to all of this made the trip worthwhile. Special thanks to Jose for hosting the tournament and going through all the trouble of setting up the event. Also thanks to mike sweetman and chris long for their beautiful pictures! Thanks to all the stores involved with the tournament, and thanks to Romeo from Battle foam for sponsering the event!

PlayerArmyBattlePaintSportsOverall
Mike SweetmanWarriors Of Chaos2 1 1 1
Chris LeboeVampire Counts3 1 19 2
Dave GannerHigh Elves1 8 1 3
Adam TremblaySkaven5 1 1 4
Don HillWood Elves7 1 1 5
Travis LammingVampire Counts8 1 1 6
David SicciaDwarfs3 13 1 7
Nick MageeWarriors Of Chaos6 6 1 8
John MoutrayOgre Kingdoms9 8 1 9
Chad MillerDwarfs12 8 1 10
Dave AveryWood Elves9 13 1 11
Atley MillerHigh Elves16 6 1 12
Robbie MathiesWarriors Of Chaos9 16 1 13
Branden GreenLizardmen13 13 1 14
Haakon SullivanEmpire16 8 1 15
Robyn MillerOrcs & Goblins13 16 1 16
Brandon ArmstrongDwarfs18 8 1 17
Mike BystromBretonnians15 16 1 18
Garret KelfordLizardmen18 16 1 19

Thanks again and make sure to check out my personal blog of the journey!
Till next time

Adam Tremblay
Scenarios that will be used here
So many rats, so little time

2 weeks before going to Orctoberfest I decided to paint over 200 skaven models so that my collection would finally look like a real army. In addition one of the requirements of Orctoberfest was that players at the very minimum base coat all their models. So I took the time to not only paint all of the units and characters below, but my whole skaven collection. If you want to check out my progress at the time, check out my blog http://www.rankingshq.com/public/blogpost.aspx?Id=3234

Characters, Lords 495pts/625pts
495 pts Grey Seer.
- Skalm, Dispel Scroll, Level 4 (Lore of Ruin).
- Screaming Bell.

Characters, Heroes 411pts/625pts
92 pts Chieftain.
- Shield, Poisoned Attacks (SP), Weeping Blade
104 pts Chieftain.
- Shield, Halberd, Battle Standard Bearer
- Shroud of Dripping Death
150 pts Warlock Engineer.
- Warp-Energy Condenser, Doom Rocket
- Level 2 (Lore of Ruin)
65 pts Warlock Engineer.
- The Terrifying Mask of EEE! Death Globe

Core 629pts>625pts
195 pts Clanrats.
- Shields, Spears, Standard, Musician, Champion
- Size: 35
260 pts Clanrats.
- Shields, Spears, Standard, Musician, Champion
- Size: 48
70 pts Warp-Fire Thrower. – Size: 1
52 pts Skaven Slaves.
- Slings, Musician- Size: 20
52 pts Skaven Slaves.
- Slings, Musician- Size: 20

Special 466pts/1250pts
250 pts Plague Monks.
- Champion, Standard, Musician, Storm Banner
- Size: 25
108 pts Gutter Runners.
-Size: 6 –Poisoned Attacks, Slings
108 pts Gutter Runners.
-Size: 6 –Poisoned Attacks, Slings

Rare 490pts/625pts
250 pts Hellpit Abomination.
-Warp-Stone Spikes
150 pts DoomWheel.
90 pts Warp-Lightning Cannon.

Total 2491pts/2500pts

Character Overview:
I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I chose a grey seer as my general at this point level, since magic spells can really turn a battle in your favour(Dreaded 13th spell). However most players seem to put him on foot in a massive unit, usually with the talisman of preservation(4+ ward save). This is a direct result of true line of sight, which can allow warmachine heavy armies to destroy the beautiful bell and plague furnance models. I offer a different opinion which some people may find interesting and which actually played a big factor in ALL my games. Ok Sure, every Cannon, Stonethrower, and Bolt Thrower can see the Bell just about everywhere on the table.....but, what they don't see is the Hellpit abomination, doom wheel, warp lighting cannon, gutter runners, warp fire thrower, distraction slave units and my other big units. Their focus is solely on destroying the bell and the general, leaving themselves open for faster and more deadlier things to sneak into their army.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...